How to Figure Out If Your Ice O Matic Ice Machines are the Right Size and What to do About It If They Are Not
Selling machines like ice o matic ice machines has gotten competitive. You have several places to buy the same brand of machine. Salesmen try to quote the lowest price possible because they know you will try to get it beat. The easiest way to lower the price is to sell you a smaller ice machine. This machine will do great in the Fall, Winter and Spring but will leave you in need in the Summer.
Restaurant ice o matic ice machines are rated by how much ice they can produce in 24 hours under ideal circumstances. The ideal circumstances are a new machine sitting on the factory floor. That is usually the only time the ice machine will operate in ideal circumstances. Your ice machine may make 500 lbs a day in winter and only 300 lbs a day in summer.
You should base the size of your ice machine on the amount of ice it will make in winter. Otherwise you will have a summer of problems for years to come. If you already have an undersized ice machine, here are 5 ways to get it to make the most ice it can. Lesson # 2 and # 7 of Ice Machine Secrets goes into more detail.
Before we go any further I want to let you know about the Ice Machine Secrets e-course. It is FREE to subscribers of the FREE e-zine Refrigeration Savings Tips. You can sign up below.
5 Ways to Get Your Ice O Matic Ice Machines to Make More Ice
1) Increase Ice Production By Lowering the Ambient Air Temperature The biggest effect you can have on your restaurant ice o matic ice machines production is to keep it in a cool place. Most kitchens are not cool in the summer. Every degree the temperature rises is a decrease in production. Relocation or the installation of a thermostat controlled exhaust fan may be needed.
2) Increase Ice Production By Keeping the Condenser Coils Clean. Dirty condenser coils have the same effect as the machine being in an ambient temperature that is too high. In addition to decreasing production, it also decreases the life of the compressor. Grease is the biggest culprit. It will have to be professionally removed. Dirty air filters cause the same problems as a dirty condenser.
3) Increase Ice Production By Keeping the Evaporator Clean. Eventually your restaurant ice machine will stop working if the evaporator is not cleaned. Before that happens production starts decreasing. The ice sticks to the evaporator and is melted off. This is an easy do it yourself job. There should be cleaning instructions inside the front cover.
4) Increase Ice Production By Keeping the Incoming Water Cool. This usually isn’t a big problem. The warmer water in the summer does reduce production but not significantly. Water temperature can be a problem if the water lines are routed through an attic or ceiling crawl space. Another possible problem is hot water being fed into the cold water line by a bad mixing valve or other problem.
5) Increase Ice Production By Properly Adjusting the Cube Size. I saved this for last because it can cause more harm than good. If the ice is too thick it will freeze very slowly at the end of the cycle. If it is too thin it will melt out of the evaporator. If it is acceptable, a tiny adjustment can cause a problem. If you want to try this adjustment yourself invest the effort to learn to do it properly.
What to Do If Your Ice O Matic Ice Machines Production is Low?
Start off by checking the 5 things above. Correct any that need to be. Then determine if your bin is the correct size. The next chapter will show you how to do that. Then have a refrigeration technician perform a production test. That will compare the actual amount of ice the machine is producing to what it should be producing under the conditions.
If the machine is operating normally for the conditions and the bin is big enough, you have a big problem and it is not the ice o matic ice machines fault. You can improve the operating conditions, replace the machine or get a second machine.
If the machine is under producing for the conditions something is wrong with the machine. If the machine is operating normally, you can still try to increase production. The machine is operating normally for the conditions. Simply improve the conditions and you will improve your restaurant ice o matic ice machines production.
Why Ice Machines Make Less Ice Than They Are Suppose To
Why machines rated at 1000 pounds a day actually make as little as 710 pounds a day and what you can do about it. Learn 5 ways to get more ice production.
How Ice Machine Salesmen Can Lie To You To Make The Sale
Before buying an ice machine, find out how the ratings are deceptive and can be used to sell you the wrong ice machine. A retired refrigeration technician spills the beans.
Ice Machine Article Directory #1
Articles that will show you how to save by reducing operating costs, repairs and extend the life of your machines.
HOME - - - from ice o matic ice machines